Benefits of Watermelon Before/After Your BJJ Training
When you think of a fruit that is refreshing and delicious watermelon definitely comes to mind!
Aside from being a nice summer treat, watermelons are high in Vitamin C, Vitamin A and many plant compounds.
Here our some of our favorite reasons watermelon serves as a great fruit pre or post workout:
- Hydration – while you should be drinking water throughout your day to keep you hydrated, you can also eat foods that are high in water content. Watermelon is a fruit that has high water content, being roughly 90% water!
- Beneficial Plant Compounds and Nutrients – Watermelon is considered to be one of the few fruits that are low calories. It also contains the following vitamins and nutrients:
-Vitamin B1, B5, and B6
- May Lower Inflammation and Oxidative Stress – Watermelon may help lower inflammation and oxidative damage, as it’s rich in the anti-inflammatory antioxidants lycopene and vitamin C. As an antioxidant, lycopene may also benefit brain health.
- May Help Relieve Muscle Soreness – Citrulline, an amino acid in watermelon, may reduce muscle soreness. Watermelon juice has some potential as a recovery beverage after exercise.
- Can Improve Digestion – Fiber and water are important for healthy digestion. Watermelon contains both.
Not sure how often you intake fruit in your typical day, but if you are looking for a refreshing treat that packs the health benefits your body needs then go ahead and grab yourself a watermelon!